Monday, October 28, 2013

10-28-13

As i was reading the first article, i also had Facebook open and i was going through all of my old pictures and i was uploading a couple new ones. It kind of caught me off guard when the author when the author made the statement about how people say they don't want their information to be public to the world, but they openly display it to the world via social networks and imputing personal information into the internet, because that is the way i feel, but i'm guilty of what he accuses our society of. I find it very interesting how people will consciously upload information about themselves onto the web to try and in a way get public attention, when they try to lead private lives outside of the internet. i leads me to be more cautious towards how i use the internet because of all the possibilities that could cause damage to one, just by trying to be social with ones online community.

1 comment:

  1. I, like millions of other people, have a Facebook but I rarely post anything - at most it's one picture a year, and that's just to change my profile picture. It's only use to me is to chat with my boyfriend and very close friends and family when my phone is out of commission or too far away for my laziness to care. Otherwise, it's just a lurking and stalking mechanism - we all do it. I see people complaining about their privacy all of the time but they would post five selfless a day and tell us what they have for every meal, with who, and tag the exact location. It's ironic and stupid. My cousin just got into a serious relationship (at least, that's what his relationship status claimed), and got mad when it became a hot topic at the family gatherings. My favorite is the "Having a horrible day," followed by a comment asking what's wrong, with a response of "None of your business." However, I get the same amount of complaints in the reverse circumstance. I couldn't count how many times I've been put down or scolded for not knowing something because "I put it on Facebook/Instagram/Twitter." My uncle had a baby recently, and the first notion I saw of it was through Facebook. It's almost as if people expect everyone else to stay in the loop by doing no work whatsoever to uphold interpersonal relationships. Facebook has been a really interesting social commodity. I've written a research paper on the topic about three years ago, and I'm sure things have changed by now. But as a whole, it's almost as if people are allowing themselves to become more and more accessible online, but at the cost of developing meaningful and personal relationships. And sometimes, when they do share something with their superficial circle of friends, they will complain about it. That's the Internet.

    Alice Lee

    ReplyDelete